What is YoungStar?
YoungStar is a program of the Department of Children and Families created to improve the quality of child care for Wisconsin children. YoungStar:
- Evaluates and rates the quality of care given by child care providers
- Helps parents choose the best child care for their kids
- Supports providers with tools and training to deliver high quality early care
- Sets a consistent standard for child care quality
Quality early care makes a big difference in your little one’s life, and in yours. While you’re at work, you want to know your child is safe and secure, and gaining the knowledge and social skills that set the stage for a successful tomorrow. A quality child care program gets your child off to a promising start in life, while providing you with priceless peace of mind.
Now, in addition to talking to other parents and consulting with child care resource and referral programs, you can “look for the stars” when selecting a child care provider. For the first time, parents are able to compare the quality of care their children will receive using an established, measurable standard.
YoungStar evaluates the quality of care given by regulated child care providers and rates them from 1 Star to 5 Stars, with 5 Stars being the highest rating. A provider’s star rating is based on:
- Education Qualifications and Training
- Learning Environment and Curriculum
- Professional and Business Practices
- Child Health and Well-Being Practices
For the first time you can “Look for the Stars” in selecting a child care provider. YoungStar is a voluntary five star quality rating and improvement program the WI Department of Children and Families created to support families in identifying quality care.
- Programs meet certain quality standards at 2, 3, 4, and 5 stars.
- This information, along with your visit and evaluation of programs, are key to making good choices about child care.
For more information, please click the link below.